The monthly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Century Road Club Association was held on Monday, February 4, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. at the midtown offices of W.P. Carey. Board members Ken Harris, Ben Harris, Matt Howard, David Taylor, Mike Green, Douglas von Bushberger, Chris Forsyth, Wendy Nickerson, and Martha Lees were present.
1. The next Board meeting will be held on Monday, March 3, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. at the offices of W.P. Carey.
2. The minutes of the January Board meeting were unanimously approved.
3. The Board resumed discussion of the request by Eugene Boronow for a $1,000 grant to pay for the airfare to Spain of 2007 Junior Development program graduate Pascual Caputi. Because Pascual is no longer a Club member, the Board decided not to provide the requested funding.
4. Matt Howard described his updates to the CRCA website, which will be completed soon. A sample of possible new fonts to use for the site was circulated for review and comment.
5. David Taylor provided an update of Club racing matters. David noted that he had updated the race formats and team cup rules and that these changes are available for review by Board members. David also reported that we will try to get race results out earlier this season. To that end, we will only count up to seven places, and will require finishers who believe they placed in the top seven to come by the finish within fifteen minutes or so after the race and identify themselves on the finish line videotape. This will permit results to be made official on race day.
6. David further reported that the volunteer ambulance operator the Club uses offered to provide coverage for our sixteen Club races for $10,000. The usual fee is $14,000. David indicated that paying an extra $1,000 would help foster goodwill and that an $11,000 payment would still be a very good deal for the Club. Accordingly, the Board unanimously approved an $11,000 payment to the ambulance operator.
7. David proposed a 10% raise for the race staff, which includes Alex Rodriguez, the marshal captain, and various assistants. David indicated that race staff had not received a raise in two years. The Board unanimously approved the proposal.
8. As in years past, the Board voted to approve dinosaur membership for Stephen Chang in exchange for his work coordinating moto coverage.
9. The Board discussed whether to conduct a men’s clinic this year. No clinic was held in 2007. Some Board members felt that the clinic is an excellent way to try out racing without the barriers to entry of other avenues. Other Board members expressed the concern that inexperienced racers pose a high risk of causing accidents. The Board voted not to conduct a men’s clinic this year.
10. Douglas von Bushberger reported that he had composed a list of team duties and would post it for the Board’s review.
11. Kevin Brubaker asked Board members to provide him with self-portrait photos to post on the Club website.
At approximately 8:00 pm the meeting adjourned.
Martha Lees, Secretary