The club has received from the Department of Parks & Recreation the following rules and regulations concerning cycling races in Central Park. We encourage all club members to familiarize themselves with these rules. Please be aware that when race organizers ask you not to place your bag on the grass, or ride on the pathways, they are doing so to comply with the Parks Department, which generously allows us to race in the city. We appreciate your cooperation in following the rules.
You can also download a printer-friendly version of this document for your reference.
- Must have emergency medical services on site for all races.
- Must ensure that bike races are completed by 8:30 a.m. in March & November and by 8:00 a.m.
during April ? October.
- May not hold time trials.
- Ensure that baggage stays on a woodchipped or paved surface.
- Are required to report all incidents to the Parks Department (Please follow emergency procedure
- Must place informational signs that indicate a bike race is taking place at major entrances to the
- Can hold a maximum of 15 races per calendar year and can hold no more than four races per
- Must have motorcycles proceed the field and must ensure that the motorcyclists use a whistle to
- Must be responsible for picking up all litter after each race.
- Lead vehicle must make announcement if they see pedestrian ahead in roadway.
- All signage, banners, & tents must be approved by Parks staff before the event day.
- Must give Parks a physical plan that details the specifics of the race / races.
- Must provide Parks with a damage bond and must sign a contract or letter agreement.
- Must be in a uniform that bears the organization?s name so that they can be identified by the
- Must be briefed on Parks rules & regulations by organization before event day.
- Must have a whistle.
- Should be assigned based on the numbers outlined on the chart below; and by the attached
- Must have emergency procedure in hand at all times.
Month of Race Minimum # Recommended # March & November 30 40 April ? Oct 40 53
- Are not allowed to ride bikes on pathways.
- Should respect other parks users at all times.
- Should not ride in the wrong direction on the drive after 6:00 a.m.
- Should not place bikes on trees or exposed tree roots.
- Should not relieve themselves in the landscape.
- Should not block the recreation lane during or after the race.
- Should not place bags on grass.