The monthly meeting of the Board of Directors of the Century Road Club Association was held on Monday, January 7, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. at the midtown offices of W.P. Carey. Board members Ben Harris, Matt Howard, David Taylor, Mike Green, Douglas von Bushberger, Kevin Brubaker, and Martha Lees were present. Club member Eugene Boronow was present for the discussion of the CRCA Junior Development Program.
1. The next Board meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, February 4, 2008 at the offices of W.P. Carey.
2. Eugene Boronow provided an update regarding the 2008 CRCA Junior Development Program. He noted that 10 riders will participate in the program, 3 of whom are new to the program, and that 8 of the 10 riders will graduate from the program after this year. Orbea will provide bikes for the 3 new riders. Eugene requested a $1,000 grant from the Club to pay for the airfare to Spain for a 2007 graduate of the program, Pascual Caputi, who has been invited to spend the season on a Spanish amateur team. The Board discussed the request and decided to table the proposal at present.
3. Mike Green provided an update regarding the Spring 2008 Bear Mountain race. Mike posed the question whether the Club should have a 501(c)(3) team co-sponsor the race. Among other things, such a co-sponsorship would reduce the fee required by Harriman State Park. The Board discussed the question but no decision was reached. The Board also discussed whether to have a subteam assigned to assist with the race as a team duty, as well as other ways to make the race run more smoothly. One goal for this year is to document the necessary steps in the process of preparing for the race, to assist future Directors of Open Racing in putting on the race.
4. The Board discussed the idea of having the Club purchase an electronic timing system for use at the Bear Mountain races and, possibly, Club races. Discussion focused on the cost of the system, the philosophy of having precision times for each finisher, and the logistics of distributing and using the system.
5. Douglas von Bushberger, Director of Teams, asked the Board for assistance in assembling a list of needed tasks for assignment as team duties. He may post final team duties on the Club website to make them easily available to Club members.
6. Kevin Brubaker discussed some of his ideas for adding new content to the Club newsletter and website.
At approximately 8:30 pm the meeting adjourned.
Martha Lees, Secretary